Personal Injury & Nursing Home Abuse
Pittsburgh and Western PA

Assisted Living Abuse and Neglect FAQ

Our attorneys understand personal care facilities

When concerns arise about potential abuse or neglect within assisted living facilities, turning to an experienced lawyer can give you clarity about your claim. Hal Waldman & Associates offers reliable guidance and support to clients with assisted living abuse and neglect cases. With many years of experience as a personal care facility owner, Attorney Waldman has unparalleled insight into how these facilities operate.

Remember, these questions and answers are general information, not legal advice. If you have questions about a specific case of assisted living neglect or abuse, contact us immediately to discuss your concerns with an attorney.

What should I do if I suspect an assisted living facility of abuse or neglect?

If you have suspicions of abuse or neglect within an assisted living facility, don’t delay. Your loved one’s well-being may be at stake. Take action with the following steps to ensure their safety:

  • Get medical attention: If you believe your loved one is in immediate danger or requires medical attention, prioritize their well-being and seek medical help immediately.
  • Report your suspicions: Report your concerns to the appropriate authorities, such as the facility management, long-term care ombudsman program, or state regulatory agency. Document incidents, observations, and any conversations you have related to the suspected abuse or neglect.
  • Contact a lawyer: Contact an attorney with experience in assisted living abuse and neglect cases. A lawyer can provide valuable guidance, help you understand your rights, and advise you on the best course of action.

Remember, your loved one's safety is your priority. Following these steps can help address the situation to prevent further harm.

Return to Top

Should I complain to the assisted living facility?

Yes, if you suspect abuse or neglect in an assisted living facility, it's important to voice your concerns. You can start by talking to the facility's management. Explain what you've noticed and ask them to address the situation. Sometimes, the facility might not be aware of the issues, and they can take steps to improve the situation.

However, if you're uncomfortable talking to the facility directly or the issues persist, you should also consider reporting your concerns to the appropriate authorities. This can include local agencies or ombudsman programs that oversee assisted living facilities.

Return to Top

Should I contact the police if I suspect assisted living abuse or neglect?

Yes, if you believe your loved one is in immediate danger or is a victim of a crime, don't hesitate to call the police right away. The police can help investigate the situation and ensure your loved one is safe. They have the training and the authority to handle situations involving potential abuse and neglect.

Return to Top

Can I sue the facility?

You may have the option to sue an assisted living facility if you believe they were responsible for abuse or neglect that caused harm to you or your loved one.

To determine if you can sue, your attorney will consider factors like evidence of abuse or neglect, the facility's responsibilities, and the applicable laws. If there's evidence of wrongdoing and neglect on the part of the facility, you may have grounds to file a lawsuit seeking compensation for the harm that occurred. Remember that each case is unique, so it's essential to consult a legal professional to understand your options fully.

Return to Top

Is there a deadline for taking legal action?

To take legal action for an assisted living abuse and neglect case, you must meet a legal deadline, referred to as the statute of limitations. In Pennsylvania, you generally have two years from the date the abuse or neglect took place. However, other deadlines may apply in some circumstances.

To make sure you don't miss any deadlines, it's best to consult an assisted living abuse and neglect attorney as soon as possible. Missing a deadline may prevent you from taking legal action in the future.

Return to Top

How do I handle an insurance company settlement offer?

When an insurance company representing the assisted living facility offers a quick settlement for assisted living abuse or neglect, it's essential to be cautious. These offers are often lower than what your loved one deserves and may not cover all the costs you need.

Before accepting an offer, speak with an assisted living abuse and neglect lawyer. They can help you understand what's fair, negotiate with the insurance company, and make sure you're taken care of now and in the future.

Return to Top

How can an assisted living abuse and neglect attorney help?

With Attorney Hal K. Waldman and his legal team, you're not just getting legal expertise; you're getting personalized commitment. We believe in giving your case the attention it deserves. We take the time to understand your concerns and collaborate closely with you to create a solution that supports your best interests. Contact Hal Waldman & Associates today for a free consultation, and let us be your trusted advocates.

Return to Top

Free Consultation. Contact Us Today.

    Contact Us Click Here