Personal Injury & Nursing Home Abuse
Pittsburgh and Western PA

Pittsburgh Uninsured and Underinsured Motorist Claim Attorneys

If you were hit by an uninsured driver, we can protect your rights

Does this sound familiar? You or a loved one was injured in an unexpected car accident in Pennsylvania. You have insurance, but the other driver is uninsured or underinsured. Now what?

While some insurance policies do cover uninsured or underinsured motorists, others may not provide full coverage. These types of accident cases can be complicated, so it is very important to seek help from a quality Pittsburgh car accident attorney with extensive experience in underinsured and uninsured driver accidents right away. At Hal Waldman & Associates in Pittsburgh, our law firm offers free case evaluations to injured crash victims. We can answer your questions and help you decide what to do next.

Car insurance requirements in Pennsylvania

All Pennsylvania drivers are required to purchase car insurance. The state’s minimum coverage requirement is a 15/30/5 liability insurance plan plus Personal Injury Protection (PIP). More specifically, the minimum plan provides up to $15,000 per person and up to $30,000 per accident for bodily injuries, $5,000 for property damage, and $5,000 for uncovered medical expenses (PIP).

With an overnight hospital stay costing more than $10,000, on average, it is easy to see how the minimum policy would not be enough to cover a victim’s medical expenses, lost wages, and other damages. And, of course, some drivers break the law and don’t carry insurance at all. Finally, some accidents involve hit-and-run drivers or “phantom vehicles” that are never identified – meaning you don’t know who to sue or where to file a claim.

Do you have UM or UIM?

To avoid paying huge medical bills out of pocket in these situations, Pennsylvania drivers are encouraged to purchase more coverage. Some types of coverage that could apply to a crash with an uninsured or underinsured driver include:

  • Uninsured Motorist (UM) pays for your injuries and property damage if you are involved in an accident caused by an uninsured driver. You can also use this policy if you are struck in a hit-and-run, and the other driver is never identified.
  • Underinsured Motorist (UIM) pays for your injury and property damage expenses that are in excess of the at-fault driver’s policy limits.
  • Extraordinary Medical Benefits pay for medical expenses over $100,000.
  • Income Loss (Lost wages) pays for a portion of your lost wages – usually about 80% - if injuries from a car accident prevent you from working.
  • Collision pays to repair physical damage or replace your vehicle after an accident. Most lenders require you to carry collision coverage if you have a car loan.
  • Funeral Benefits pay up to a specific amount toward funeral expenses for you or your family members should they die in a car accident.

Can I sue the uninsured driver who hit me?

In theory, sure. You can sue an uninsured driver and attempt to collect compensation from their assets. However, as a practical matter, most uninsured motorists don’t have any assets to take. It’s usually not worth the time and cost to file a lawsuit to recover damages you may never collect.

However, sometimes, the at-fault driver is not the only party liable in an accident. For example, under some circumstances, you may be able to file a lawsuit against their employer or another responsible party. As mentioned, if you have UM or UIM insurance, you can file a claim with your insurance company. In short, don’t assume that you are out of options. Talk to an experienced car accident lawyer about your rights.

A car accident attorney can help you identify all potential sources of compensation

Our experienced Pittsburgh car accident attorneys know how to identify your options for financial compensation. If you were injured or a loved one was killed in a car accident with an uninsured or underinsured driver in the Pittsburgh area, contact Hal Waldman & Associates for a free case evaluation.

Our law firm proudly serves communities throughout Western Pennsylvania. A member of our team is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, to hear from you. We can listen to the details of your case, explain your options, and answer your questions. Contact us for your free evaluation right now.

Free Consultation. Contact Us Today.

    Contact Us Click Here